Man in court over attempted murder of police officer in Castlederg in 2008
A man has been remanded in custody charged with the attempted murder of a Catholic policeman in County Tyrone.
David Jordan, 44, from Cavanalinn in Pomeroy, County Tyrone, is accused of the bomb attack on the officer in Castlederg in May 2008.
The police officer was driving to start a night shift at a police station when a booby-trap bomb hidden under his car exploded.
He escaped from the vehicle but suffered serious leg wounds.
Mr Jordan is also charged with causing an explosion and belonging or professing to belong to a proscribed organisation.
On Thursday, Gavin Coyle, 38, was also charged with attempting to murder the police officer.
Mr Coyle, formerly of Culmore Park in Omagh, County Tyrone, but whose address was given as Maghaberry Prison, also faced charges of causing an explosion likely to endanger life and membership of the IRA.
A detective told Friday's hearing at Dungannon Magistrates' Court that the two men were involved in a "joint enterprise" to try to kill the policeman.
She said that when each charge was put to Mr Jordan during police interviews, he replied: "I am totally innocent of this fabricated charge."
The detective added that the accused then said: "This is yet another case of internment by remand."
Mr Jordan had originally been arrested in connection with the bombing in the days after the attack, but was released without charge, the court heard.
The detective said police believe CCTV footage captured Mr Jordan and Mr Coyle driving two vehicles in the vicinity of the officer's house prior to the bomb.
A trace of nitroglycerin was also found in the boot of a car later seized by police from Mr Jordan, the detective added.
She said police were opposing bail as the defendant was connected to republican paramilitary groups and could commit offences if he was bailed, adding that he also posed a flight risk.
But a defence lawyer told the court the evidence linking Mr Jordan to the attack was "non-existent".
He rejected a claim that new evidence had emerged since his client's original arrest in 2008.
He said: "This defendant should not be connected to these offences."
Police expert analysis of the CCTV footage had not even been able to confirm the make and model of the vehicle, he said, and the car later impounded by police was not even registered to Mr Jordan.
The solicitor also questioned the police's reliance on the nitroglycerin trace, saying the bomb used in the attack had been made of semtex.
The judge refused Mr Jordan's application for bail.
He is due to appear before Strabane Magistrates' Court via videolink on 17 December 17.