David Clarke murder: Man released on bail
A man who was arrested by detectives investigating the murder of a 26-year-old man in Belfast 14 years ago has been released on bail.
David Clarke, who had learning difficulties, was beaten to death in his flat at Forthriver Road in the north of the city on 6 June 2001.
At the time, police said it was one of the most savage and brutal killings they had ever dealt with.
The arrested man, who is 34, was bailed pending further inquiries.
He had been detained in north Belfast on Monday morning.
The day before, police announced that they had re-opened the murder investigation after detectives received new information.
They also revealed that the victim had been bullied in the weeks leading up to his murder.
Mr Clarke's body was found in his flat by friends who were concerned for him.
Former Assistant Chief Constable Allan McQuillan was involved in the original 2001 inquiry.
He said Mr Clarke's killing was not Troubles-related and was "quite simply that he had some issue with someone and they murdered him".
Mr McQuillan described the 26-year-old's death as a "mystery" and was "one of the cases you really wanted to solve and we weren't able to do it".
Det Ch Insp Alan Dickson described Mr Clarke as an "inoffensive and vulnerable" man who died after an "increasingly frenzied" assault.