Northern Ireland

Man severely burned in Londonderry fire

Jack Allen Court
Image caption The fire happened at Jack Allen Court, which is sheltered accommodation for the elderly

A man who was severely burned in a fire in Londonderry is critically ill in hospital.

The fire happened at Jack Allen Court, a sheltered housing facility for the elderly at Hawkin Street.

The Fire and Rescue Service were called to the incident just after 19:30 GMT on Wednesday.

The man was taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast for treatment. A woman was treated for shock.