Northern Ireland

Donegal boy dies after choking on chip

An eight-year-old boy has died following an asthma attack triggered when he choked on a chip.

Hugh Simpson-Callaghan from County Donegal died on Monday after the accident at his home in Gleneely.

He was rushed to a medical centre but could not be resuscitated.

Local councillor Charlie McConalogue said the whole community was in shock at Hugh's death, and sent his sympathies to his family.

"It's a very sad situation, and everybody round here has been touched by what happened.

"It's sad when anybody dies but the fact that this little boy was so young and the manner in which he died makes it all the more heartbreaking."