Irvinestown death caused by carbon monoxide poisoning

Image caption,
The house was reported to be filled with fumes

A post-mortem examination has revealed that a man who was found dead in his home in County Fermanagh died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Killian Scallon, who was in his 50s, was found dead at a house at Kesh Road, Irvinestown, on Wednesday.

His wife remains critically ill in hospital.

The Health and Safety Executive is helping police as investigations continue to establish the cause of what happened.

Emergency services were alerted at about 1100 GMT on Wednesday.

Local parish priest Fr Michael McGourty said the tragedy was discovered when Mr Scallon's sisters and a brother-in-law had gone to visit the house after failing to get in contact with him.

He said local people were "absolutely stunned" by the death of Mr Scallon, who was a well-known estate agent in the area and a nephew of Eurovision Song Contest winner Dana.

"I could see smoke damage in the house; there's a lot of speculation as to the cause of death but we won't know until we finally hear the results of the investigation," said Fr McGourty.

He added: "The family is getting great support from friends and neighbours."

Mrs Scallon, who is a teacher, was taken to the Erne Hospital but later transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast.

Requiem Mass for Mr Scallon will take place at Sacred Heart Church in Irvinestown on Saturday.

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.