Ten men jailed over North Yorkshire girl's sex exploitation
Ten men have been jailed after a 13-year-old girl from North Yorkshire was sexually exploited by 30 different attackers.
Some of the men were married with children and individually preyed on the girl, committing offences including having sex with her.
Police said the men made contact with her over the internet.
The offences came to light after the girl's mother found explicit messages and pictures on her mobile phone.
Det Ch Supt Simon Mason said the offenders included a teacher, a travelling salesman, a shop worker and an unemployed mechanic.
He said: "They came from all walks of life, all types of professions, including one man that was located in Europe.
"There were a variety of marital relationships and the fact that they had access to their own children and other children."
The ten men were jailed for a variety of sexual offences including sexual grooming of a child and possessing indecent photographs.
Another man was given a community sentence and a further man is awaiting sentencing.
An additional 18 men were investigated and found to have had contact with the girl but no court action was taken.
Mr Mason said the pattern of behaviour started off as "simple contact" between the men and victim.
"There's then sexualised chat, there's then exchanging of images progressing to contact by meeting in different localities."
The detective said: "In some cases the child would actually disclose her age to some people who would stop contact at that point, other people would be more turned on and excited by that."
The case, which was first investigated by police last April, can now be reported because court proceedings have finished.
The men prosecuted are:
- Craig Wilkinson, 33, of Rowan Close, Scarborough, jailed for six years after pleading guilty to nine sexual offences including having sex with the girl.
- Adam Noble, 24, of Bishopthorpe Road, York, jailed for six years after being found guilty of five sexual offences.
- Mark Lindsay, 33, of Cooper Street, Doncaster, jailed for four years and six months after being found guilty of three sexual offences.
- Mark Harris, 39, of Huntington Road, York, jailed for four years and eight months after admitting two sexual offences, including having sex with the girl.
- Michael Ford, 39, of Almsford Drive, Acomb, York, jailed for three years after admitting six sexual offences.
- Matthew Horrocks, 30, of Viking Road, York, jailed for two years and four months after pleading guilty to two sexual offences.
- John Sterckx, 37, of Fontygary Road, Barry, Wales, jailed for 15 months after admitting 10 sexual offences.
- Mark Long, 34, of Juniper Way, Harrogate, jailed for two years and eight months after pleading guilty to seven sexual offences.
- Philip Scaife, 31, of The Croft, Sherriff Hutton, York, jailed for two years and eight months after admitting eight sexual offences.
- Tobias Tobin, 23, of Woodhill View, Wetherby, jailed for 15 months after pleading guilty to five sexual offences.
- James Sutton, 28, of St Helens Avenue, Barnsley, given a community order for three years after admitting nine sexual offences.
- Jonathan Baines, 30, of Ashland Court, Northallerton, will be sentenced at Teesside Crown Court on 24 October after admitting three sexual offences.