Wiltshire

Lee Burge crane hook electric shock Ashford Homes fined

A building firm has been fined £20,000 after a crane driver suffered an electric shock when a crane hook block hit an overhead power line.

Lee Burge, 38, from Bristol, was using the equipment to move steel sections at Trowbridge Rugby Club on 20 March 2013, Swindon Crown Court heard.

Mr Burge had to be resuscitated and now suffers from long term memory loss.

Ashford Homes of Melksham pleaded guilty to breaching construction rules and was also told to pay £5,159 costs.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found Ashford Homes had been warned by the electricity company about the presence of overhead power cables, and had received advice on the removal of the power supplies running across the site.

The HSE said no measures were put in place by the company to prevent plant and equipment accessing the area beneath the power lines or for the power supply to be diverted or isolated.

HSE inspector Ian Whittles, said: "Mr Burge was extremely close to losing his life and this is down to the failure of the construction company to adopt a safe system of work."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites