Sherston's Rattlebone Inn damaged in overnight blaze

Rattlebone Inn fire
Image caption At its height about 65 firefighters and 10 fire engines dealt with the blaze

Firefighters have spent the day at the scene of a large fire at a 17th Century Wiltshire pub.

The fire broke out in the roof of the Rattlebone Inn in Church Street, Sherston, at about 02:30 GMT.

Dave Jackham, of Wiltshire Fire and Rescue, said it had been a "complex operation due to the age of the building".

Nobody was injured in the fire, which is believed to have started accidentally.

Mr Jackham said the crews stripped the tiles from the roof to make sure the fire did not reignite.

The B4040 between Noble Street and Sandpits Lane was shut in both directions for a time.

The pub is known for having been a former haunt of Prince Harry whose childhood home, Highgrove, is nearby.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites