Cardiac arrest boy from Wiltshire returns to football training

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionQuinton Barham needed emergency surgery after his cardiac arrest

A teenage footballer from Wiltshire who went into cardiac arrest during a match has returned to training for the first time since the incident.

Quinton Barham, 14, was playing for his local team in February when he came off the pitch feeling dizzy, and collapsed.

Paramedics spent 90 minutes getting his heart going again before he was taken to the Bristol Royal Infirmary.

Doctors found his pulmonary artery was in the wrong position and he needed heart bypass surgery.

"[What] an absolutely horrendous day that was but today is absolutely fantastic," his dad Paul Barham said.

"It's really good news to see my boy getting back on the pitch, which is what he loves to do.

"From what we were seeing when it happened, we never had any expectations of him playing again but it's been remarkable and he's absolutely [amazed] the doctors, so they've given him the all-clear."

'Always felt 100%'

Quinn, as he is known to his friends, also had to have a pint of water drained from around his heart before he was allowed to return to his home in Trowbridge.

"It all went a bit downhill at the start, a couple of weeks in, but after I started walking then it's being going uphill," he said.

"In my mind I have always felt 100%."

Quinton's team, Bradford Town Youth Football Club, have since acquired a defibrillator for their ground.

Peter Bates, one of the club's coaches, said Quinton's life was saved because a parent knew CPR and the club they were playing, in Bromham, had a defibrillator at the time of the incident.

Throughout his recovery, Quinton received messages of support from former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Fergusson, and the former Premier League star Fabrice Muamba, who also had a cardiac arrest during a game.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites