Easterton woman recovers after 'dying for 45 minutes'

Carol Brothers and husband David
Image caption Medical support was withdrawn from Mrs Brothers but she is recovering

A 63-year-old woman who was expected to die after her heart stopped for 45 minutes, is recovering well.

Carol Brothers, from Easterton near Devizes, collapsed outside her home from a heart attack, last month.

Paramedics managed to restart her heart and she was airlifted to hospital but her family were told to expect the worst and doctors withdrew medication.

Her daughter, Maxine Dickinson, said doctors "put mum on the pathway to die" but days later "she came back to life".

Mrs Brothers was returning home from a shopping trip with her daughter when she collapsed, said her husband David.

Induced coma

"I saw them pull up, the next thing I hear is the daughter screaming at the top of her voice and I couldn't see Carol," he said.

"So I shot out there and she was flat out on the floor, just changing colour - a horrible colour and basically I panicked."

Mrs Brothers' daughter, with the help of a neighbour, began to administer CPR but she said as far as she was concerned "my Mum was dead on the path".

"I just went into complete shock," she said.

"First Response and the paramedics arrived and we stayed out the way because I just couldn't watch my mum - it was too upsetting.

"But they just kept going and going and going and after 45 minutes did get the heartbeat going."

Put into an induced coma, Mrs Brothers was airlifted to the Royal United Hospital in Bath and immediately transferred to the critical ward.

But three days later, with minimal brain activity detected, medical support was withdrawn.

"The doctor said she could go quite quickly - and they put mum on the pathway to die," said her daughter.

"But then she opened her eyes and came back to life and they had to try and save her."

'Miracle girl'

Despite an announcement at the church in Market Lavington that she had passed away, Mrs Brothers is now recovering at home but says she has no memory of her ordeal.

"It was a good 10 days later, coming round in hospital," she said.

"I was worrying because all the staff were saying 'how's our miracle girl?' and 'how's our wonder girl?'.

"And it was really beginning to annoy me because nobody would tell me anything."

Married for 46 years, she said it had brought her closer to her husband.

"He managed to get me a wedding anniversary card whilst I was in hospital," she said.

"He normally forgets but not this year."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites