Former Swindon Mecca Bingo hall to become music venue
A former bingo hall in Swindon town centre is to be converted into a music venue.
The old Mecca Bingo hall on Regent Circus, which was sold to the borough council, has been closed since April 2008.
A consortium of local businessmen have now signed a lease and it is expected to open in November as a 2,000-capacity venue.
It opened as a cinema in 1929 and and was named the Gaumont in the 1950s.
It became the Odeon in 1962 and was converted to a bingo hall in 1974.
Work to remove asbestos from the building was undertaken in February.