Swindon North MP praises apprenticeship scheme

Justin Tomlinson
Image caption Mr Tomlinson said apprenticeships offered real skills

A Wiltshire MP is urging young people to consider becoming apprentices, instead of going to university.

Justin Tomlinson, (Conservative North Swindon) compared the success of Honda apprentices with recent graduates.

He said 85% of the apprentices ended up with jobs at Honda, the other 15% found jobs elsewhere which were potentially better paid.

"Contrast that with the number of students who have graduated but are unable to find work," he said.

"It just shows the value to me of giving people applied real skills where there are real job opportunities at the end," Mr Tomlinson added.

Jammed printer

In the same Westminster Hall debate, Gloucester's MP Richard Graham said he would be taking on an apprentice himself.

Last month the Conservative MP turned up 45 seconds late for the same debate on apprenticeships which had to be postponed.

Speaking then, Mr Graham blamed a jammed printer for his time keeping.

Westminster Hall sits alongside the main chamber, and is aimed at fostering a new style of debate.

Sessions are open to all MPs, who sit in a horseshoe arrangement, and is meant to encourage constructive rather than confrontational debate

The meetings are presided over by a deputy speaker and there are no votes.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites