Danny Humble: Teenagers guilty over Cramlington killing

  • Published
Danny HumbleImage source, Family handout
Image caption,
Danny Humble died after a fatal stamp to his head or neck caused a ruptured blood vessel

A teenager has been found guilty of murder and four others of manslaughter after they killed a man in a 15-second attack.

Danny Humble, 35, was "swarmed" as he lay on the ground during an altercation in Cramlington, Northumberland, in May last year, Newcastle Crown Court heard.

Alistair Dickson, 18, of Blyth, had denied murder but was found guilty.

The four other teenagers were cleared of his murder but convicted of manslaughter by the jury.

They are Ethan Scott, of Chester Grove, Blyth; Kyros Robinson, of Woodside Avenue, Seaton Delaval; Bailey Wilson, of Mitford Avenue, Blyth, who are all aged 18, and a 17-year-old boy who cannot be named.

They will be sentenced at a later date.

Image source, Northumbria Police
Image caption,
Alistair Dickson, 18, of Blyth, had denied murder but was found guilty

The court heard how Mr Humble and his partner, Adele Stubbs, had enjoyed a meal and drinks after lockdown restrictions were eased and she later recalled they had drunk "a canny skinful".

The teenagers had also been out drinking in local pubs.

Ruptured artery

Jacob Hallam QC, prosecuting, said a witness told police he heard some of the group and Mr Humble "just having a little bit of crack on".

The 17-year-old had joked about Mr Humble looking like one of the TV presenters Ant and Dec, and although the couple initially took it in good humour, Mr Humble then pushed and then punched the then-16-year-old, the jury was told.

The youth punched him back and the four others then joined in the attack, knocking Mr Humble to the ground and kicking and stamping on him, the court heard.

Image source, Northumbria Police
Image caption,
Kyros Robinson, Bailey Wilson and Ethan Scott were all found guilty of manslaughter

One of the stamps, which prosecutors said was inflicted by ex-junior soldier Dickson, fatally ruptured an artery in Mr Humble's neck.

Jurors heard the fatal attack took 15 seconds and a witness told police "they didn't miss a part of his body" as they were "kicking him in".

Ms Stubbs tried to perform first aid and dialled 999, trying "desperately but fruitlessly" to save her partner, the court heard.

'Lives destroyed'

Det Ch Insp Joanne Brooks, of Northumbria Police, said Mr Humble was a "very respected member of the Cramlington community" who left behind two "completely devastated children, a committed partner, loving family and countless friends".

"So many lives have been destroyed by what happened that night," she said.

"Children have been left without a father and those responsible have caused pain and suffering for their own loved ones and shattered their own chances of a happy future.

"No-one wins where violence is concerned and I want to send a clear message to anyone who believes that such actions are acceptable - the consequences are devastating and can rip lives apart."

Follow BBC North East & Cumbria on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Send your story ideas to northeastandcumbria@bbc.co.uk.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.