Tyne & Wear

Beamish Wild spends £2,000 on repairing squirrel-damaged rope

Grey squirrel Image copyright Beamish Wild
Image caption The squirrel's damage forced one of the jumps at the treetop adventure centre to close

A grey squirrel has sparked a safety alert at a treetop adventure centre after it nibbled through one of the attraction's ropes.

Staff at Beamish Wild high ropes course, in County Durham, noticed the bite marks in part of a rope, attached to the "power fan freefall jump".

The power fan, which is 40ft (12m) high and simulates the feeling of freefall, had to be taken out of action and cost £2,000 to repair.

A new cage system now covers the rope.

Instructor Jamie Naden, said he was "quite annoyed" at the squirrel.

"It was quite an important component of the power fan that was damaged, so for that reason we've actually had to take it out of action," he said.

"It's been a bit of a nightmare, we've had to use different systems to get people down to the floor.

"It's a tiny little bite that has been taken out of the belt but unfortunately that is enough."

Mr Naden said the new cage system would help to protect the course from further damage.

Image caption The power fan simulates the feeling of freefall
Image caption Mr Naden said the "tiny little bite" meant the attraction had to be taken out of action

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites