Tyne & Wear

British teenager dies on Tanzania school trip

A British schoolboy has died on a field trip in Tanzania after suffering a severe allergic reaction, an expedition company has said.

Jack Burden, 18, from Harton Technology College in South Shields, Tyneside, received first aid but could not be resuscitated, True Adventure said.

The Foreign Office confirmed he died in Tanzania on Tuesday.

The firm could not confirm what the source of the allergy was, but said the group had been in a "remote location".

The company said it had organised for an ambulance to take the team away.

It is understood the group was completing a 28-day charity expedition.

Sir Ken Gibson, head teacher of Harton Technology College, said the school was "devastated" and that he had been in touch with Mr Burden's family.

Counselling offered

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends, and with the students and staff who are still in Tanzania," he said.

He said the school hoped the rest of the students still in Tanzania would be flying home soon and professional support would be in place for them on their return.

A spokeswoman for South Tyneside Council said: "Our thoughts and sympathies are with his family and friends at this very sad time.

"We will be offering counselling and any other support that we can to those affected by this tragic incident."

True Adventure said in a statement: "The thoughts and condolences of all at True Adventure are with [the teenager's] family and friends and the organisation's efforts are fully focused on ensuring they are supported in any way possible."

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites