Angela Wrightson murder accused 'admitted joining in'

Angela Wrightson Image copyright Cleveland Police/PA
Image caption Angela Wrightson was described in court as a "lost soul"

A girl accused of battering a vulnerable woman to death told another girl she had taken part in the attack, a court has heard.

Angela Wrightson, 39, was found half-naked in her blood-spattered home in Hartlepool in December 2014.

She had sustained at least 103 injuries inflicted with a variety of weapons, including a shovel and broken glass.

Two girls, who were then aged 13 and 14, deny murder.

The older girl has admitted manslaughter.

Leeds Crown Court heard evidence via videolink from a teenager who had been in the same secure unit as the younger girl following her arrest.

She said the younger girl described attacking "a lass" who later died by "smashing stuff over her head".

'Let's do this'

The witness said the accused did not refer to Ms Wrightson by name, and blamed her co-defendant for the assault but later admitted she had joined in "towards the end".

"She said her brain said 'ok let's do this then', and she punched and kicked her and then it was over with," the witness said.

According to the witness, the younger girl said she "did not regret" the death of the victim because "she had it coming".

Under cross-examination, the witness admitted she had "fallen out with" the younger girl between having the conversation and giving evidence and said she she did not like the younger girl.

Earlier, the court heard a number of witness statements about Ms Wrightson, including from Donna Jenkins who was in prison with her.

She described Ms Wrightson as "a lost soul" who was easily taken advantage of.

"Angie found life easier in prison than outside, she was largely institutionalised," Ms Jenkins said.

The two women remained friends after their release, but Ms Jenkins said Ms Wrightson became increasingly dependant on alcohol, drinking several litres of strong cider every day.

"I know she could be a nuisance, especially when she was drunk.

"She'd lie in the middle of the road and make hoax 999 calls but she did it because she was lonely and wanted the attention."

The trial continues.

Related Topics

More on this story