Ebac fined £7,500 over molten plastic burns
A factory has been fined £7,500 after a worker was hit by a jet of hot molten plastic, suffering serious burns.
John Calcutt was cleaning plastic from a machine without a mask at dehumidifier maker, Ebac, Newton Aycliffe, when the accident happened.
The 47-year-old, of Spennymoor, was hit in the face and arm with hot plastic and had to be airlifted to hospital.
Ebac admitted a safety breach at Darlington Magistrates' Court.
Mr Calcutt is still receiving treatment and physiotherapy for facial and arm burns since the accident in September 2012 but has returned to work at Ebac, the hearing heard.
The prosecution was brought by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).