Teesside man dies after downing pint of vodka


A man died after downing a pint of vodka in four seconds, an inquest heard.

Richard Davies, 29, from Thornaby, near Stockton, had been drinking with friends before the alcohol knocked him unconscious in January.

Mr Davies was found not breathing in a pool of his own blood, and died hours later.

Recording a verdict of misadventure, Teesside coroner Tony Eastwood said the alcohol in his system had killed him.

The hearing on Tuesday at Teesside Coroner's Court was told how the electrician's mate was five-and-a-half times the legal drink-drive limit and his body contained traces of the then-legal high mephedrone, which has since been banned.

However, Mr Eastwood said the alcohol in his system had killed him and that the mephedrone was not a contributing factor.

'Pushed me away'

Mr Davies' best friend Christopher Crooks told the inquest how he tried to save his life after he was found unconscious in the early hours of 16 January.

In a statement read out by deputy Teesside coroner Tony Eastwood, he said: "Richard drank a pint of vodka in four seconds or so.

"I did try to take the glass off him, but he turned his back on me, pushed me away, and drank it all."

Paramedics were later called, but by the time they arrived Mr Davies was dead.

Pathologist Jan Lowe said Mr Davies had an alcohol level enough to have caused acute alcohol poisoning.

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.