Katie Price fined for shouting abuse in Shipley school playground

Katie Price arriving at court in March Image copyright PA
Image caption Katie Price had originally denied the charges

Katie Price has admitted shouting a "tirade of abuse" at her ex-husband's new partner in a school playground.

The former model was due to stand trial over the incident which happened in Shipley, West Sussex, on 6 September.

She had originally denied using threatening and abusive words or behaviour to cause harassment, alarm or distress to Kieran Hayler's girlfriend.

But Price, 41, of near Horsham, changed her plea at the town's magistrates' court and was fined £415.

She was also banned from contacting Michelle Penticost, who is dating Mr Hayler.

After the hearing, Price told reporters outside the court: "I did swear but the rest is just exaggerated nonsense."

When asked if she was sorry, she replied: "No I'm not, because I didn't do anything that bad."

'Unpleasant event'

The row with Ms Penticost and her friend Andrea Quigley happened in the playground of a primary school near Price's home.

Paul Edwards, prosecuting, told the court that during the row, Price was witnessed hurling a "tirade of abuse" and swore multiple times at both women.

Paul Macauley, defending, claimed the outburst was prompted by Price's recent discovery of Ms Penticost's relationship with Mr Hayler.

Ordering her to pay £606 - including the fine and court costs - chairman of the bench Michael Harris said a five-year restraining order forbidding her from contacting Ms Penticost directly or indirectly was "appropriate for this unpleasant event".

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionKatie Price: "I'm trying to get on with my life"

In a victim impact statement read on her behalf, Ms Penticost - who did not attend the hearing - said she tried to avoid Price at school because she felt intimidated.

She said: "I'm anxious I may still see her and I just want to get outside the school as soon as possible."

Outside court, Price said it was a "one-off incident" and there had been no further problems since.

However, she claimed to feel "totally intimidated and isolated" at the school and said she had "no option than to move the children".

This is the third criminal court case Price has faced this year.

In January, she was banned from driving for a second time after getting behind the wheel while disqualified and uninsured.

Then, in February she was banned for another three months and fined £1,100 after being convicted of being nearly twice the legal alcohol limit while in charge of her Range Rover.

That month, Price also revealed she had been "self-medicating" with cocaine for about six months, after what she said had been an "awful year" in 2018.

In an interview with the Victoria Derbyshire programme, she spoke about her mother's terminal illness, splitting from her husband and being held at gunpoint in South Africa.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites