Selsey Academy fire: Burnt-out school's pupils to return
Pupils at a burnt-out school are to return to temporary classrooms on the site by early autumn, the head teacher says.
Selsey Academy suffered extensive damage and much of its contents were destroyed in the blaze on Sunday.
More than 75 firefighters tackled the fire as huge plumes of black smoke spread across the West Sussex town.
Meanwhile the 453 pupils will be taught at four locations in the Selsey area.
The school also said the start of term had been delayed until 12 September.
Head teacher Tom Garfield, writing to parents, said: "I am sorry for any difficulty these arrangements will cause, but the extra time is essential to allow staff extra time to prepare to teach in these new surroundings."
- Opened in September 2011 as part of the Kemnal Academies Trust
- Formerly known as The Manhood School
- Smaller than average mixed secondary with 453 students aged 11-16
- Last year, 47% of GCSE students gained five or more A* to C passes including English and maths
- The school was rated inadequate in an Ofsted inspection in March 2013
- A July 2014 inspection upgraded it to "requires improvement"
- Current head teacher Tom Garfield took up his post in January 2016
- The main building dates from the early 1960s
- New drama and music facilities were added in 2004, a new sports hall in 2008 and new library in September 2012