Sussex

Newhaven industrial estate rubbish fire into second day

Fire Image copyright Eddie Mitchell
Image caption Firefighting continued through the night because of the large amount of waste

People have been urged to avoid an industrial estate in Newhaven where 200 tonnes of rubbish has been on fire for more than a day.

Firefighters said they had been tackling the blaze at Skip-It containers since Friday morning.

South East Coast Ambulance Service said it deployed its hazardous area response team and Sussex Police cordoned off the area around North Quay Road.

There are no reports of any injuries and medical staff have been stood down.

In a tweet, the ambulance service said people in surrounding areas should keep their windows closed, but there were no health issues to the wider public.

A spokesman for East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said crews were initially called at 10:30 GMT on Friday.

He said: "Due to the large amount of waste involved, an estimated 200 tones of rubbish, the operation continued throughout the night."

Image copyright Eddie Mitchell
Image caption Crews were expected to remain at the site for the rest of the day

Eight fire engines were at the scene on Saturday with crews expected to remain at the site for the rest of the day.

Roads in the area have been cordoned off.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites