Littlehampton death fire treated as murder and arson say Sussex Police

Fire in Littlehampton flats
Image caption Some residents in the Littlehampton flats had to be rescued by ladder

The death of a man in a fire in West Sussex is being treated as arson and murder after traces of white spirit was found inside the front door.

Terry Davies, 24, died in the blaze at flats in South Terrace, Littlehampton, on 12 September.

The fire broke out in the hallway at about 01:00 BST and was thought to have been started by an electrical fault.

Sussex Police said investigations had now established that white spirit had been used to start the fire.

Det Insp John Wallace said evidence of the accelerant had been found just inside the front door to the building.

He appealed for witnesses who may have seen anyone acting suspiciously shortly before midnight or during the time of the fire to contact police.

A post-mortem examination showed Mr Davies died from the effects of breathing in smoke.

Four other people were taken to hospital.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites