Alert after Hove pupils 'exposed to chemical fumes'
Twenty-one students and two teachers were taken to hospital after suffering the effects of chemical fumes during an incident at a school.
Emergency crews were called to Hove's Cardinal Newman School earlier.
Sussex Police said pupils were being taken to hospital by ambulance for checks but it was not thought any were seriously affected.
The school said there had been a minor incident. East Sussex fire service said the situation was under control.
In a statement, Sussex Police said: "Police are aware... an incident at Cardinal Newman School in Hove where 21 students are reported to be suffering from the effects of being exposed to chemical fumes."
The force said parents of any child affected were being contacted by the school.
The fire service had said there was no further risk to the school or surrounding community.
Some roads had been cleared or closed to allow emergency access and there was some traffic disruption in the area, police said.
A statement on the school's website said: "We would like to thank all parents and carers for their patience and understanding while this incident was being dealt with by the emergency services.
"With their help and support we can confirm that the incident is now over and the school is resuming normal service."
Cardinal Newman Catholic School is a mixed comprehensive school for pupils aged 11 to 18.
A spokesman for East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: "Pupils had been moved to the school hall away from the incident.
"The affected area was cordoned off and the spillage was contained."
He said a fan was used to disperse any fumes and crews left the scene at midday.