Sussex Police link two sex attacks on women in Brighton
Women have been warned not to walk alone in Brighton after two night-time sex attacks in the city in two days.
Det Sgt Chris Sherwell said the sexual assaults on women in the early hours of Thursday and Friday were thought to have been carried out by the same man.
The attacks on an 18-year-old and a 20-year-old were in quiet areas where there was no-one else around, he said.
Women have been warned to be cautious about walking alone, even for short distances.
Punched in face
Det Sgt Sherwell said: "I regret having to issue a warning of this nature and we are working hard to identify this man and put a stop to his offending.
"However, I must also suggest that women and girls should be extremely cautious about walking alone late at night, particularly in secluded areas and even for short distances where they might be separated from friends and other people."
In the first attack on Thursday at about 01:45 GMT, off Russell Square, an 18-year-old woman was sexually assaulted by a man who punched her in the face before she managed to escape.
In the second attack on Friday at about 02:30 GMT in Steine Lane - an alleyway behind the Pavilion Tavern - a 20-year-old woman was grabbed from behind by a man.
He pulled at her clothes and sexually assaulted her before she managed to break free and run away.
Det Sgt Sherwell said the suspect believed to have carried out both attacks had been described as black or dark-skinned, aged about 30, about 6ft (1.8m), with a medium or slightly tubby build, with very short or no hair.
He said the suspect had also been described as having "a very distinctive foreign accent".
Anyone with information about the attacks is asked to contact Sussex Police.