Sussex

Sussex man suffers facial burns from ornamental fire

A 25-year-old man was treated for facial burns when an ornamental burner caught light in a flat in Sussex.

Firefighters were called to a ground floor flat in Queens Park, Brighton, at 2028 GMT on Wednesday.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue said the incident happened after the man had refilled the burner with bioethanol.

Watch manager Spencer Bartley said: "The man thought it was extinguished when he refilled it but it flared up in his face."

Bioethanol is distilled sugar beet alcohol and burners can be used in homes without a chinmey as only water and carbon dioxide are produced while burning.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites