Zane Gbangbola: No criminal charges after flood death
An investigation into the death of a seven-year-old Surrey boy during last winter's floods will not result in criminal charges, police have said.
Zane Gbangbola, from Chertsey, died in February of carbon monoxide poisoning.
As part of their investigation, Surrey Police seized a petrol-driven pump from inside the home address.
After inquiries in respect of the hire firm providing the equipment, it said Crown Prosecution Service advice was there was no criminal case to answer.
Zane's parents Kye Gbangbola and Nicole Lawler believe he was killed by hydrogen cyanide released from floodwater in their home, which they say came from a former landfill site.
Last month they marched with campaigners to the Environment Agency to demand a more rigorous investigation into his death.
Mr Gbangbola, 48, a company director, was left paralysed by the same incident.
He said hydrogen cyanide had been found in the family's blood and had been identified in the house.
An initial post-mortem examination proved inconclusive, but further tests by a pathologist gave the result of death as carbon monoxide intoxication.
Det Insp James Norbury said Zane's death had been "an extremely tragic event".
"We have received advice from the Crown Prosecution Service and no criminal charges will be brought in relation to this case.
"The process was lengthy and we fully appreciate it has been a frustrating and painful time for all concerned while inquiries were carried out.
"Officers have met with Zane's parents throughout the investigation and provided as much information as possible at each stage and they have been updated as to the results of our investigation.
"We will now share our findings with the coroner," he said.
An inquest into Zane's death will be held in due course.