Attacked football fan Simon Dobbin's wife criticises case
The wife of a football fan left with brain damage after an attack a year ago has criticised a "lack of progress" in the case.
Cambridge United supporter Simon Dobbin, 43, has just returned home from hospital following the fracas in Southend last March.
Several people were arrested but no one has been charged.
His wife Nicole said it was "very frustrating" that no one had been "brought to justice".
Mr Dobbin, who lives with his wife and daughter in Mildenhall, Suffolk, was attacked outside The Railway pub while on the way home from Southend's Roots Hall stadium on 21 March.
Essex Police arrested 17 men on suspicion of assault or violent disorder following the attack. One man remains on bail and three men will face no further action. The force said it is continuing to work with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) "in order to reach a decision" on any charges.
"Our lives have completely changed and yet these people are still walking around as if nothing happened.
"If they get away with it then it will send out completely the wrong message and the next person might not pull through," Mrs Dobbin said.
Neighbours put out banners and balloons for Mr Dobbin's return home earlier this week.
He is still unable to talk, walk or eat solid food, but his wife said she had seen a "fantastic change" over the last few days.
"He is more alert, he is trying so hard to communicate, he has really come alive again and it has lifted everybody.
"Everyone has been so supportive and happy for us," she said.
The next goal is to get him talking and back "to some sort of normality", she added.
A hospital bed, a reclining chair and a hoist have all been installed at their home but she said they need to raise £20,000 for a wet room and an extra bedroom.
Mrs Dobbin and her daughter Emily are taking part in a 12-mile walk on Sunday to raise money and mark 12 months since the attack.