Suffolk extradition suspect Lauri Love's 'fair trial' fears

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionLauri Love spoke of the stress his family has been put through

A British man facing extradition over claims he hacked into US government computers has said he fears he will not get a fair trial.

Lauri Love, 30, of Stradishall, in Suffolk, faces charges of hacking into agencies including the US Army, Nasa and the US Federal Reserve.

Mr Love, who has not been charged with any offence in the UK, was arrested at home on an extradition warrant in July.

A US Department of Justice spokesman declined to comment on Mr Love's case.

If convicted, he could be sentenced to up to 12 years in prison.

Prosecutors originally filed charges against Mr Love in 2013, which saw him arrested by the UK's National Crime Agency (NCA).

Image caption Mr Love is accused of being involved in hacking computers, including those of the US Federal Reserve

His bail was cancelled over a year ago with no further action having been taken at that time.

He was arrested for a second time when the Met Police executed an extradition warrant, on behalf of the US, at his house on Ash Walk, Stradishall.

Mr Love, speaking for the first time after his re-arrest, said he had no faith in the US justice system.

"I would say my prospects of due process in America are essentially zero, and the prospect of extradition is tantamount to a punishment worse than any punishment from the UK justice system," he said.

"My parents and me are quite stressed. I have had time to acclimatise. My dad has had a heart condition and my mum is a natural worrier."

Image copyright Other
Image caption Lauri Love is fighting moves to extradite him to the United States

He said that as the alleged crimes took place in the UK that is where he should be tried.

"The charges should be heard here... where 12 of my peers should be found to try me," said Mr Love.

Mr Love has begun legal proceedings to get his computer equipment returned by the NCA.

Twenty-five of 31 items - including laptops, computer towers, memory sticks and hard drives - were given back to him before a court hearing and he withdrew his action.

He appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court in July and was released on bail. A full hearing is expected in December.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites