Ipswich torture and kidnap: Men sentenced

Gibril Seray-Wurie (top left), Malachi Cavalho (top right), Daniel Smith (bottom left) and Ricky Greenwood (bottom right) Image copyright Norfolk Police
Image caption Gibril Seray-Wurie, Malachi Cavalho, Ricky Greenwood and Daniel Smith (clockwise from top left)

Four men have been jailed for kidnapping and torturing a man who was tied up and burnt with an iron.

John Ugoani told Ipswich Crown Court he was also scalded at a flat near Stoke Bridge, Ipswich, last March.

Gibril Seray-Wurie was jailed for 14 years and Malachi Cavalho for 12 years after being convicted of grievous bodily harm, among other offences.

Two other men who admitted related offences were jailed for 10-and-a-half years and three-and-a-half years.

During a fortnight of evidence at a trial last year, Mr Ugoani told the court he had arranged to buy £16 worth of cannabis, but following a meeting in Bell Close he was taken to the flat in Purplett Street.

The court heard he was assaulted, robbed and had his Cemetery Road home burgled, before he was eventually released.

He needed hospital treatment for burns on his chest.

Image caption The jury heard the attacks took place in Purplett Street in Ipswich

Seray-Wurie, 31, of Lone Barn Court in Ipswich, was jailed for grievous bodily harm with intent, kidnap, false imprisonment, robbery, burglary and possessing a knife.

Cavalho, 27, of no fixed abode, was jailed for grievous bodily harm with intent, kidnap, false imprisonment, robbery and burglary.

He also received a further 12-month consecutive sentence for an outstanding drug offence.

'Brutal crime'

Daniel Smith, 25, whose address was given as HMP Norwich, was jailed for 10-and-a-half years for the same offences as Cavalho, and received an 18-month consecutive jail term for an outstanding drug offence.

Ricky Greenwood, 23, formerly of Ipswich but now of Redwell Place, Daventry, Northamptonshire, was sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison for false imprisonment and burglary.

All four men were also ordered to pay a £120 victim surcharge.

Det Insp Andy Footer, who oversaw the investigation, said: "This was a brutal, pre-planned and organised crime, where all four men had agreed their roles in the kidnap.

"The victim suffered horrific burns. This was a distressing assault, one which I am sure will stay with the victim for some time."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites