Paul Taylor: Ipswich Town striker given suspended jail sentence

Ipswich Town striker Paul Taylor
Image caption Paul Taylor played three games for Ipswich before getting injured in September

Ipswich Town striker Paul Taylor has been given a suspended prison sentence for attacking a doorman during a drunken night out.

Taylor, 25, from Rendlesham, had admitted the assault at the Robert Ransome pub in Ipswich in October.

He was given a 24-week prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, and has to pay victim Shaun Grey £7,000 compensation.

Olatunde Ademuyiwa, 24, of Beechway, Liverpool, had admitted actual bodily harm on Mr Grey.

He was sentenced to 34 weeks, suspended for 18 months, and must also complete 120 hours of community work.

Ademuyiwa had also admitted beating another doorman, Gary Harper.

Ipswich Crown Court heard Taylor had been "frustrated" because injury had ruled him out of playing for the club, which he joined from Peterborough United in August.

Prosecutor Michael Crimp said: "Mr Grey had asked the men to drink up as it was approaching midnight. At 12.15am they tried to leave the pub with their glasses but were told they couldn't.

"Mr Taylor asked what they were going to do about it and swore so Mr Grey took the glass from his hand and a struggle took place."

Mr Grey fell over and Mr Ademuyiwa stamped on his hand.

'Source of frustration'

As the men were dragged from the pub, Taylor punched Mr Grey in the face and several other blows were thrown, Mr Crimp added.

Simon Spence, defending, said: "The fact he wasn't able to play was perhaps a source of frustration which led to his behaviour that night.

"He is a young man with a promising career ahead of him and he is looking to put this incident behind him."

Mr Grey suffered a bruised cheek bone, a broken finger and lost a tooth in the attack, the court heard.

He has been unable to work ever since and until recently has been dependent on pain killers.

In sentencing, judge John Devaux described the attack as "an ugly incident".

"This was a public place in the early hours of the morning and you were both fuelled by alcohol," he said.

Taylor's girlfriend, Jodie Twitchett, who was heavily pregnant at the time, had admitted assaulting Mr Harper at an earlier hearing at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court and had already been given a 12-month conditional discharge.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites