Suffolk

Fire badly damages village home in Suffolk

Two people have been taken to hospital after breathing in smoke during a fire in their home in Suffolk.

The blaze broke out at the semi-detached cottage in Warren Lane, Woolpit.

Specialist fire officers have visited the scene to find a cause of the blaze.

John Wilcocks, from Suffolk Fire service, said two people were trapped upstairs and escaped through a dormer window before crews arrived.

"We sent four fire engines and the flames had taken hold of the ground floor and were spreading to the roof when crews arrived," he said.

It was the fourth serious house fie that the service had dealt with since Christmas Eve.

"With the cold weather a lot more people are having open fires but chimneys need to be cleaned and well maintained for safety," Mr Wilcocks said.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites