Stoke & Staffordshire

Stoke-on-Trent fire: Man dead in house blaze caused by cigarette

Police car
Image caption Police and fire service investigators expect to remain at the scene for the rest of the day

A man has died and 10 other people have been treated by paramedics after a fire at a house.

The blaze at the property on the B5041 London Road in Stoke-on-Trent started at about 23:50 GMT on Wednesday.

Two women and a man were taken to hospital with minor injuries with all other patients discharged at the scene.

The fire started in the man's bedroom when a cigarette set fire to bedding, investigators said. The three-storey house had been converted into flats.

Staffordshire Police said the house had an annexe with three self-contained bedrooms, only two of which were occupied during the fire.

Image caption Two women and a man were taken to hospital suffering from minor injuries

Three Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service crews attended the scene and the blaze was put out by 01:51.

"The fire was contained to one room in the three-storey building, which is a licensed house of multiple occupancy," a spokesman added.

"There was some smoke damage caused to other rooms."

Police and fire service investigators said they expected to remain at the scene for the rest of the day.

Formal identification of the man who died was yet to take place, police said.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: "Sadly it quickly became apparent that nothing could be done to save one occupant, a man, and he was confirmed dead on scene."

Follow BBC West Midlands on Facebook, on Twitter, and sign up for local news updates direct to your phone.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites