Stoke & Staffordshire

'Low sun' reflecting off mirrors sparks Staffordshire fires

Burned DVDs Image copyright Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service
Image caption Sunlight reflecting off a mirror caught fire to a pile of DVDs at a house in Rugeley

Sunlight reflecting off mirrors sparked two blazes in two days at homes in Staffordshire, firefighters said.

Curtains caught light at a house in Fazeley, Tamworth, on Thursday. A man in his eighties had a minor burn to his wrist after putting out the flames.

A pile of DVDs caught fire at a house in Huntsmans Hill in Upper Longdon, Rugeley, on Friday.

Staffordshire Fire Service said it was quite rare to get such incidents and it may be that the sun is low in the sky.

The service warned home owners not to place reflective surfaces in direct sunlight.

More on this and others in Stoke and Staffordshire

Watch Manager Rob Horton said: "Special care should be taken with convex and concave shaving or make-up mirrors which can magnify the sun's rays onto combustible items such as curtains or bedding, causing them to ignite."

Image copyright Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service
Image caption A fire caused by sunlight reflecting off a mirror melted a DVD case

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites