Stoke & Staffordshire

Stone fire deaths caused by wardrobe light fitting

The house in Lichfield Road, Stone
Image caption The first floor of the house was smoke logged when firefighters went in

A house fire in Staffordshire which killed an elderly couple was caused by a light fitting in a wardrobe, fire investigators have concluded.

Peter Goffe, 86, and his wife Beryl, 85, died in the blaze at their detached house in Lichfield Road, Stone on Tuesday.

The couple were found by the emergency services on the first floor landing and were confirmed dead at the scene.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said it had been "a very sad accident".

Staffordshire Police said a report was being prepared for the coroner.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites