Stoke & Staffordshire

IPCC probes response to man assaulted in Stoke-on-Trent

The police watchdog is investigating the conduct of two officers in their response to a man who was assaulted.

Israr Ellahi, 30, died after a fight in Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent. Six men have been jailed following violent disorder on 18 June 2010.

The investigation would examine actions in respect of any first aid and treatment provided, the Independent Police Complaints Commission said.

Staffordshire Police said it welcomed the additional scrutiny.

The police watchdog said the investigation followed a complaint from Mr Ellahi's family about the manner in which he was attended to by police officers while on the ground in Nash Peake Street after the assault.

'Strong concerns'

The investigation will also consider whether the response given by officers was in any way influenced by Mr Ellahi's religion or race.

IPCC Commissioner Amerdeep Somal said: "I appreciate the violent disorder which took place in Tunstall last June and Mr Ellahi's sad death have raised strong concerns among local communities.

"Mr Ellahi's family has complained that police officers were negligent in the manner in which they attended to him while on the ground following the assault.

'Ask for patience'

"The IPCC investigation will independently scrutinise this particular complaint and impartially examine whether police officers acted appropriately in the circumstances.

"I would ask for patience while we investigate this specific matter carefully and thoroughly."

The Staffordshire Police force said it could confirm the police watchdog was undertaking an investigation "into the first aid response given by police officers to Mr Israr Ellahi at the scene".

A spokesman added: "We welcome the additional scrutiny that this will provide.

"Until this investigation is completed we cannot comment further on this specific issue."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites