Stoke & Staffordshire

Woman dies in fire at Newcastle-under-Lyme flat

Flat where the fire occurred
Image caption Emergency services were called on Thursday evening

A 45-year-old woman has died in a fire at a flat in Staffordshire.

Emergency services were called to Cross Street, Chesterton, Newcastle-under-Lyme, at just after 2000 GMT on Thursday.

Helen Wright, who lived at the property, was pronounced dead at the scene, Staffordshire Police said.

The death is not being treated as suspicious. A post-mortem examination on the body will take place in due course, a spokesman said.

Officers were preparing a full report for the Coroner and liaising with family members.

Station manager Ian Housley, of Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said the fire had started in a bedroom and the victim had been found in the lounge of the flat by crews wearing breathing apparatus.

Mr Housley also confirmed the flat had working smoke alarms which meant neighbours were alerted and safely evacuated from their properties.

"A passer-by noticed the door to the flat was ajar and could hear an alarm operating and so alerted the emergency services," he said.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites