Rotherham abuse trial: Accused brands allegations 'false'
A man accused of sexually abusing three girls in Rotherham has said he would "never do such a thing".
Ishtiaq Khaliq, 33, is on trial at Sheffield Crown Court charged with rape and three counts of indecent assault.
However, he told jurors he had not known nor been in a relationship with any of his accusers.
He is one of eight men on trial in connection with the sexual abuse of three girls between 1999 and 2003. All eight deny any wrongdoing.
Prosecutor Michelle Colborne QC asked Mr Khaliq: "Each of these women has accused you of behaving in a sexual way towards them, are you saying the allegations are false?
He replied: "Yes, they are false".
Asked if he had ever told the girls to perform a sex act on him in Clifton Park, in Rotherham, he said: "No, I would never do such a thing".
He also denied "hanging around" an alleyway near a Boots store in the town, where it is alleged he raped one of the girls, and denied associating with any of the other defendants.
He further denied claims he had contacted the alleged victims online, though admitted accepting a Facebook friend request from one woman before deleting her when he realised he did not know her.
He said a "thumbs up emoji" sent to one of the women in 2015 had been a "genuine accident".
The jury heard he had a number of previous convictions, including a three-and-a-half year jail sentence for robbery.
He said he had been "young and naive" and stopped offending in 2005 when his partner, who he has been with since he was 17, "told me to sort my life out".
The jury was told Sageer Hussain, 30, and Mohammed Whied, 32, would not be giving evidence.
The trial continues.
- Sageer Hussain, 30, of Clough Road, Rotherham, denies four rapes and one indecent assault
- Mohammed Whied, 32, of Psalters Lane, Rotherham, denies one count of aiding and abetting rape
- Ishtiaq Khaliq, 33, of Cherry Brook, Rotherham, denies one rape and three indecent assaults
- Waleed Ali, 34, of Canklow Road, Rotherham, denies one rape and one indecent assault
- Asif Ali, 30, of Clough Road, Rotherham, denies one rape
- Masoued Malik, 32, of Bridgewater Way, Rotherham, denies one rape, one count of conspiracy to commit indecent assault and one of false imprisonment
- Basharat Hussain, 40, from Goole, denies one indecent assault
- Naeem Rafiq, 33, of Clarendon Road, Rotherham, denies one count of conspiracy to commit indecent assault and one of false imprisonment.