Rotherham abuse trial: Woman denies 'embellishing' abuse claims
An alleged victim of a grooming gang has refuted claims she falsely accused one man of assaulting her in order to "embellish" her story.
The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, claims she was forced to perform a sex act on Basharat Hussain in Rotherham, in 2003, when she was 14.
Mr Hussain's barrister, however, told the jury at Sheffield Crown Court the incident had never taken place.
Mr Hussain and seven other men on trial deny 16 offences, including rape.
Defence counsel Gillian Batts said the witness did not make her allegation against Mr Hussain until after an article was published in The Times newspaper in which it was stated police were investigating members of Mr Hussain's family in connection with allegations of child sexual exploitation in Rotherham.
Addressing the witness she said: "There's never been any sexual activity between you and him [Basharat Hussain] has there?
"You have embellished your account as the years have gone by and naming Mr Hussain is just another embellishment of your story isn't it?"
The witness replied: "No".
The eight men are on trial charged in connection with the sexual abuse of three girls between 1999 and 2003.
Prosecutors allege the girls were "targeted, sexualised and in some instances subjected to degrading acts of a degrading and violent nature at the hand of these men.
Earlier, defence counsel for Asif Ali, Charles Conway, said the witness had mistakenly identified his client as the man she claims raped her in Clifton Park, Rotherham, in 2003.
"The case I'm putting to you is that whatever happened on that day was not with Asif Ali and you have got that wrong."
The witness replied: "No, it was with Asif Ali."
The trial continues.
Eight on trial
- Sageer Hussain, 30, of Clough Road, Rotherham, denies four rapes and one indecent assault
- Mohammed Whied, 32, of Psalters Lane, Rotherham, denies one count of aiding and abetting rape
- Ishtiaq Khaliq, 33, of Cherry Brook, Rotherham, denies one rape and three indecent assaults
- Waleed Ali, 34, of Canklow Road, Rotherham, denies one rape and one indecent assault
- Asif Ali, 30, of Clough Road, Rotherham, denies one rape
- Masoued Malik, 32, of Bridgewater Way, Rotherham, denies one rape, one count of conspiracy to commit indecent assault and one of false imprisonment
- Basharat Hussain, 40, from Goole, denies one indecent assault
- Naeem Rafiq, 33, of Clarendon Road, Rotherham, denies one count of conspiracy to commit indecent assault and one of false imprisonment.