Sheffield & South Yorkshire

Sheffield fire death grandmother tried to save children

Scene of fire
Image caption The fire started from electrical equipment in the lounge

A grandmother who died in a fire with her daughter and three grandchildren tried to rescue the trapped youngsters from the house, an inquest has heard.

Shabina Begum and her grandchildren Adyan Parwaiz Kayani, nine, Amaan, seven and nine-week-old Minahil, died along with their aunt Anum Parwaiz.

Mrs Begum had the opportunity to escape the fire on Wake Road in Sheffield but wanted to rescue the children.

Det Con Joe Hall described her actions as "immensely brave".

Giving evidence at the inquest in Sheffield, another of Mrs Begum's daughters Sadaf Parwaiz described how she and her mother unsuccessfully tried to fight the fire in the lounge of the terraced house last April.

'Hottest domestic fire'

She said her mother opened the front door and had a chance to escape but wanted to save the children.

Ms Parwaiz told the inquest she noticed a "sparkle" in the lounge when she came down to collect her mobile phone shortly after midnight.

She said it quickly developed into a fire after electrical equipment in the room exploded.

Firefighter Barry Ainsworth said it was the hottest domestic fire he had been to in his 25 years of service.

Fire investigator Andrew Strelczenie told the inquest it was the largest loss of life South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue had had to deal with for a number of years and "it's taken quite some time to get over it".

The inquest continues.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites