Cold case conviction for 1983 child sex attack after DNA match

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionTaped police interview with David Green

A man who kidnapped and seriously sexually assaulted a 15-year-old girl 33 years ago, has been jailed for nine years at Bristol Crown Court.

David Green, 60, from Moseley in Birmingham, earlier admitted charges of kidnap, serious sexual assault and false imprisonment.

Green abducted the girl in Weston-super-Mare near Marine Lake on 17 July 1983 and assaulted her in a storeroom.

Cold case officers said Green was arrested after a DNA breakthrough.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionDet Con Scott Westbrook-Smith said the victim's courage was 'immense'

'Too scared to scream'

In a statement at the time the victim described how she was on her way to work when she was dragged by Green into a hut where it is believed he was sleeping rough at the time.

She said she was "too scared to scream" during the assault but still managed to provide crucial information about her attacker, including a description of a tattoo of the name "Dave" on his arm.

During the case the prosecution said the victim had "suffered acute trauma and distress all her life as a result of the crime".

Image copyright Avon & Somerset Polcie/Google
Image caption The teenager was abducted close to Marine Lake and assaulted in a storeroom but described her attacker's tattoo

Ian Fenny, for the Crown, told the court how the girl recalled the "dank, sinister environment of effectively a dungeon" where she was taken by Green.

"It was a filthy, dank, dark building," Mr Fenny said.

"She vividly describes the terror she experienced and how she believed she would be killed by you," he added.

Image copyright Avon and Somerset Police
Image caption David Green was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court after he admitted kidnapping and sexually assaulting the teenager

Det Con Scott Westbrook-Smith, from Avon and Somerset Police Major Crime Review Team (MCRT), said: "The investigation was reviewed in 2015 and we submitted fibre tapings used to capture evidence on the victim's clothing at the time for testing using the latest forensic techniques.

"This provided us with a partial DNA profile which was entered onto the National DNA Database and resulted in a match to David John Green."

Green was arrested in February 2016.

'I'm sorry'

Green was found to have a string of previous convictions relating to sexual offences, dating from 1975 to 2002.

He refused to comment in police interview but confirmed he had a tattoo of "DAVE" on his arm, which he had done at about the age of 13.

This matched a description given by the victim in an interview at the time of the offence.

Green said "I'm sorry" as he was led away to begin his sentence. He was ordered to register as a sex offender for 10 years.


Det Con Westbrook-Smith added: "This sends a powerful message to anyone who's committed a serious sexual offence which to this date remains unsolved - your dark secret will not stay hidden forever.

"Through the advancements in DNA testing it's only a matter of time before you get a knock at your door which you hoped would never come."

An NSPCC spokesman said: "This was a sickening and prolonged attack on a vulnerable teenage girl, carried out by Green for his own sexual gratification.

"This has clearly had a lasting impact on his victim, felt throughout the 33 years since these horrific crimes. She should be praised for her bravery in speaking out, and Green is now rightly behind bars as a result.

Avon and Somerset Police is currently reviewing 39 unsolved rape cases and 28 unsolved murder cases.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites