School considers mobile ban after pupils film attack
A school could ban mobile phones after pupils filmed a boy being slashed with a knife and posted it online.
Worle Community School in Weston-super-Mare told parents it would "reconsider" its policy with a view to "banning them completely during the school day".
On Monday, two teenagers were arrested after a 15-year-old boy was left with minor injuries.
They have been released on bail. The school said staff and pupils had been "shocked" and "saddened" by events.
Since April 2007, teachers have had the legal right to confiscate items from pupils but there is no UK government policy about mobile phone use in England with individual schools making their own policy.
In a letter to parents, Head Teacher Peter Binding said student safety was a "prime concern" and warned that in future they would "enforce the right" to search pupil's belongings and lockers.
He added: "As a consequence of the actions of a minority of students who filmed the incident and posted it online, the school will reconsider its policy towards mobile devices with a view to banning them completely during the school day."
A spokesman for the school said: "The school will be looking into our mobile phone policy and will be making a decision after a consultation with the school governors, senior leadership team and local authority."
Police have said the 15-year-old boy suffered a "slash injury" during an argument at the school on Monday afternoon.
He was treated by paramedics at the school and taken to hospital, but was discharged shortly after.
A 15-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of GBH with intent and ABH and a 16-year-old boy for perverting the course of justice, possession of a bladed article and assisting an offender.
Both have been bailed until May.