Appeal after Somerset cat is poisoned by anti-freeze


The RSPCA is appealing for information after the death of a cat in Somerset from anti-freeze poisoning.

The charity said it was unclear whether the cat had swallowed the chemical by accident or was poisoned deliberately.

The four-year-old animal, named Marbles, developed chronic renal failure and died a few days later.

The RSPCA has carried out local door-to-door inquiries without success and said it now hoped a wider appeal for information would yield better results.

Sealed tightly

The first signs of anti-freeze (ethylene glycol) poisoning are vomiting, appearing depressed, sleepy, drunk or uncoordinated, seizures, difficulty breathing, increased thirst, and increased urination.

The society warned people to keep anti-freeze sealed tightly, well away from animals and to mop up any spillages.

The cat's owner owner, Emma Guy of Burgage Road, Stogursey, said: "Marbles was only four years old and had so much life left in him.

"I want to do whatever I can to prevent this happening again."

Anyone found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal could face a maximum six-month prison sentence and a £20,000 fine under the Animal Welfare Act.

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.