Shropshire couple offering home in charity prize draw

  • Published
Nigel, Jodie, Jane and Sam Chaloner.Image source, Nigel Chaloner
Image caption,
Nigel and Jane Chalenor, pictured with their children Jodie and Sam, are planning to downsize after they retire later this year

A couple are offering their home in a prize draw to raise money for charity.

Nigel and Jane Chalenor have lived in Grafton Farm in Shropshire for 18 years, but want to downsize and work with deprived communities.

They want to raise enough money through the draw to support the Severn Hospice, which has cared for a number of people close to them.

Since it was launched on Thursday, 20% of the £2 tickets have been sold, they said.

The couple, who have two children, were foster carers and have looked after 22 children.

They said their property has had three independent valuations putting it at between £630,000-£650,000.

They want to raise £100,000 above its value so they can give 10% of all ticket sales to the hospice.

Whoever wins the draw will also win all the furniture inside the home.

Fancy winning a 6-bedroom farmhouse set in three acres of 🌳land and 💐gardens? Well, why not try your luck🤞 Two of our...

Posted by Severn Hospice on Friday, April 10, 2020
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.View original post on Facebook

"We have always been charity fundraisers and thought we could do some real good with the opportunity," Mrs Chalenor said

"The Severn Hospice is losing revenue each week during the lockdown and they looked after aunty and friends with such care and compassion, they were the natural choice to support."

Should the target amount not be met through ticket sales they will hold the prize draw and the winner will receive a cash prize of 90% of ticket sales. The hospice will receive the remaining 10%.

Mr Chalenor said the charity suggested selling a minimum amount of 385,555 tickets to cover the break-even costs.

He said interest since the draw's launch had been "phenomenal", with many people sharing "heart-warming stories" of their experiences with the hospice.