A34 crash: Pedestrian hit by ambulance dies

A34 road closure
Image caption The A34 was closed for about seven hours northbound between Hinksey and Peartree

A pedestrian has died after being hit by an ambulance.

The 35-year-old man was struck on the northbound carriageway of the A34, between the junctions for Peartree and Islip in Oxfordshire, at 03:20 GMT.

He died at the scene and next of kin have been informed, Thames Valley Police said.

The ambulance was not answering an emergency call at the time, South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) said.

The man is believed to have walked about five miles (8km) to the dual carriageway from Oxford city centre.

Mark Ainsworth, director of operations at SCAS, said: "On behalf of South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust, I would like to offer my sincere condolences to the family and friends of the pedestrian who sadly died following a collision with one of our ambulances on the A34 early this morning.

"The ambulance was not travelling under emergency driving conditions at the time.

"The trust and the ambulance crew are assisting Thames Valley Police with its investigation into the collision.

"It is normal practice in such circumstances for the driver of the vehicle to be suspended from driving duties whilst any external and internal investigations are undertaken."

'Anything significant'

Investigating officer Det Con Rob Turpin, of the serious collision investigation unit at Bicester police station, called it a "tragic incident".

He appealed for anyone who saw the man "in the northbound carriageway of the A34 at a time prior to the collision taking place" to come forward.

He added: "I would also like to ask that any motorists who have dashcams in their cars and were driving near the area at this time review their footage to see if there is anything significant on there.

"It is believed that the man walked from Oxford city centre towards the Peartree interchange, before entering the northbound carriageway."

The A34 was closed for about seven hours northbound between Hinksey and Peartree. One lane was opened at about 10:30, at which point the congestion stretched back six miles (9.7km).

Highways England said it took part in a clean up operation after diesel was spilled.

The road reopened at 12:10.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites