Oxford

Oxfordshire waste centre chemical fire may have affected six

A skip fire was producing hydrogen gas due to a chemical reaction Image copyright OFRS
Image caption A skip fire was producing hydrogen gas due to a chemical reaction

Six people needed treatment after chemical fumes were released during a fire at an Oxfordshire waste centre.

Firefighters were called at 14:43 GMT on Monday to a chemical fire at the Hazardous Waste Transfer Station in the Ewelme area near Wallingford.

Hydrogen gas was produced after water was used to cool the chemical contents of a skip fire before Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service arrived.

Six people were treated by paramedics at the scene.

'Unusual incident'

Station manager Marcus Reay said: "This was an unusual incident as most people expect that if you apply water to something hot it will cool it down.

"This is not always the case, especially when chemicals or liquids are involved.

"I'd like to remind business owners to check their inventory and to make sure they know the chemicals and products they use and store."

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites