Didcot Power Station: Final body recovered from site

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionThe body is thought to be that of 61-year-old John Shaw from Rotherham

The last missing body in the remains of the collapsed Didcot Power Station building has been taken from the site.

A guard of honour was formed as the body, thought to be that of John Shaw, 61, was taken away at about 06:30 BST.

Mr Shaw, from Rotherham, was one of four killed during a partial collapse at the Didcot A plant.

Members of the emergency services, and representatives of site owners RWE and contractors Coleman and Company, were in the guard of honour.

The removal of debris from the site has been halted since the body was found on Friday and now it has been recovered, police say the "disaster victim identification process will commence".

"The person has not yet been formally identified and this will be a matter for the coroner, although it is believed to be John Shaw," a Thames Valley Police spokesman said on Friday.

"Our thoughts remain with the families and friends of all four men and we would ask that their privacy is respected during this incredibly difficult time."

At the scene

Amanda Dellor, BBC Radio Oxford

It's 200 days since John Shaw last walked into the old boiler house here at Didcot.

As dawn broke this morning, more than a dozen workers from the emergency services stood in silence as his body was driven out.

It was shortly before 06:30 when the white security gates slowly opened and a silver private ambulance emerged.

Heads were bowed as a mark of respect and the ambulance will now take the body of John Shaw to the mortuary at the JR Hospital in Oxford.

Image copyright Creswell family/Thames Valley Police
Image caption The body of Ken Cresswell was discovered on Wednesday
Image copyright Jade Ali
Image caption The body of Christopher Huxtable was also found last week

It follows the discovery of the bodies of Ken Cresswell, 57, on Wednesday, and Christopher Huxtable, 34, from Swansea, last week.

The three men have been missing ever since the partial collapse of the structure in February when it was due for demolition.

A fourth man, Michael Collings, 53, from Brotton, Teesside, died from multiple injuries. His death was confirmed shortly after a major incident was declared at the site.

The remaining section was brought down using explosives in July.

Image caption A major incident was declared after the boiler house collapsed
Image copyright Hedley Thorne
Image caption The removal of debris from the site has been halted as the recovery takes place

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites