Didcot Power Station body identified as Ken Cresswell

Ken Cresswell, from Rotherham, the third man to have been recovered from Didcot power station Image copyright Creswell family/Thames Valley Police
Image caption Ken Cresswell is the third man to have been recovered from Didcot power station

The man recovered from the rubble of Didcot A Power Station has been identified as workman Ken Cresswell.

Thames Valley Police said the family of the 57-year-old from Rotherham had been informed and were being given support.

Mr Cresswell is the third victim to be recovered since the boiler house partially collapsed in February. John Shaw, 61, also from Rotherham, is the last workman yet to be found.

A guard of honour was formed as Mr Cresswell was taken from the site.

Representatives of the missing men's families joined police and fire crews, staff from site owners RWE and contractors from Coleman and Company as his body was taken away early on Thursday morning.

Image copyright Thames Valley Police
Image caption A guard of honour was formed as the body was taken from the Didcot power station site

A police spokesman said: "Our thoughts are with his family and also with the family of the remaining missing man, John Shaw, and we would ask that their privacy is respected during this incredibly difficult time."

Sarah Champion, the MP for the families of Ken Cresswell and John Shaw, described the Creswell family's "a huge relief... to now have Ken found and identified".

"But we must not forget that this has taken over six months and John Shaw is still missing."

She said the two families had been in turmoil since the collapse of the power station boiler house, describing it as "mental torture".

"Every time the phone has rung over the last six months, the families have jumped up and run to get to it just in case it's news. They have felt guilty if they have gone away from homeā€¦ in case they miss a call."

The body of a third man Christopher Huxtable, 34, from Swansea was found last week.

A fourth man, Michael Collings, 53, from Brotton, Teesside, died from multiple injuries following the partial collapse of the structure in February when it was due for demolition.

The remaining section was brought down using explosives in July.

Related Topics

More on this story