Oxford

Goring primary school evacuated after 'explosion'

Goring Primary Image copyright Google
Image caption Southern Electric said 47 customers were left without power and apologised for the disruption

A school has been evacuated after a high-voltage fuse caused an "explosion" at an electricity substation.

Southern Electric said Goring Primary in Wallingford Road, Goring, was left without power from about 10:30 GMT.

A spokesman said a fuse was tripped at a substation in nearby Elvendon Road, causing a loud noise and leaving 47 customers without power.

A parent who picked her daughter up from the school said it sounded "like a big bang or an explosion".

Southern Electric said its engineers were currently on site and apologised for the disruption. It said power will hopefully be restored by the afternoon.

A spokeswoman for Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said two fire crews were called to reports of a small fire, which was out when they arrived.

She said the school was evacuated as a precaution.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites