Oxford

Elderly woman rescued from Oxford flat fire

An elderly woman had to be rescued after a fire broke out in her flat in Oxford.

The fire in Church Lane, Marston, was caused by a lamp falling on a pillow in her first-floor bedroom setting it alight, the fire service said.

She became trapped and had to be carried to safety. She was treated for smoke inhalation in hospital.

The fire was detected by the woman's carer who smelt smoke when she visited about 2030 BST on Wednesday.

A spokesman for the Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "The occupier of this property was extremely lucky to escape without serious injury.

"It was discovered that the property had no smoke detectors.

"If the carer had visited at a different time, or the fire had been in the middle of the night, then the outcome could well have been different and lives could have been lost."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites