BBC News

Nottingham care home boss jailed for manslaughter

image captionYousaf Khan said he was "very remorseful" about the death of Ivy Atkin

A care home boss has been jailed over the death of an 86-year-old woman.

Ivy Atkin died after she was found dehydrated, malnourished and with an untreated bed sore at Autumn Grange, Nottingham, in 2012.

Yousaf Khan, 47, of Nelson Road, Nottingham, admitted manslaughter and was sentenced to three years and two months at Nottingham Crown Court.

His firm Sherwood Rise Ltd was fined £300,000 for corporate manslaughter - the first case of its kind in England.

Ms Atkin's family said in a statement she was a "feisty person" who was still "alert" before she was admitted to the home.

They said: "We believe Ivy's life was shortened by the terrible care she received at Autumn Grange which resulted in her suffering a most undignified end to her life."

Commenting on the case, the Minister for Care Services, Alistair Burt, said it is "absolutely right" that the law should hold care home managers or owners to account if they play a role in allowing abuse and neglect.

"We changed the law last year so that senior figures can be held criminally responsible for the abuse and neglect of vulnerable people," he said.

"Today's sentences demonstrate that those who allow shocking standards of care can and will be held to account. I am pleased to learn that justice has prevailed."

'Shameful and deplorable'

Detectives were shocked by the seriousness of the neglect at Autumn Grange when they were called by a new member of staff worried about the conditions.

The council ended its contract and all the residents were moved out but Ms Atkin died several days later.

A post-mortem report showed her neglect led directly to her death.

media captionEvadne Fisher's mother Gaye was at Autumn Grange at the same time as Ivy Atkin

Investigating officer Det Supt Rob Griffin said: "In 48 days she lost almost half her body weight. She was emaciated, she was dehydrated. It was plain to see that she was malnourished. She had a terrible bed sore.

"What we found tragically and quite appallingly was that the very basic essentials of human existence - food, water, heating, sanitation and cleanliness - were simply not adequately provided for."

Ms Atkin, who suffered from dementia, was moved to the home after being discharged from hospital.

In an attempt to cover up their neglect, a meticulous log book of her care was fabricated including when she was washed.

But Mr Griffin said it was obvious she - and the other residents - had been neglected with no care plans in place.

image copyrightIvy Atkin family
image captionIvy Atkin, who suffered from dementia, died at the Autumn Grange residential home in Sherwood Rise, Nottingham

One care worker, who did not want to be named, told the BBC that staff were made to cut corners: "It was horrible. [If] the residents were ill when we said we want to ring the hospital they said just give paracetamol because when they are in the hospital the home is not being paid.

"There were no sheets to change the residents' beds. Sometimes there were no pads to change them. Sometimes there was no tea bags for them during teatime."

Yousaf Khan's barrister said he wanted to apologise to Mrs Atkin's family and nothing could excuse "shameful and deplorable" conditions.

Mohammed Rahamatullah Khan, 39, of Zulla Road, Nottingham, admitted breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act and was sentenced to one year in prison, suspended for two years.

A manslaughter charge against him was dropped.

Charges were also dropped against Naseen Kiani, 54, of Whirlow Grange Drive, Sheffield, and Safeena Bibi, 26, of Plantation Side, Nottingham.

image copyrightPA
image captionAutumn Grange care home was immediately shut when police discovered the standard of care

Related Topics

  • Nottinghamshire Police
  • Elderly people
  • Care homes

More on this story

  • Autumn Grange care home was 'horrific and appalling'